Actify has an opportunity for an experienced software engineer with a deep interest in improving our development, QA, deployment, and operations processes. This is a fantastic opportunity to use your experience developing CI/CD, build, test, and deployment automations on the Azure cloud platform, as well as to define engineering processes that will enable us to scale our cloud operations efficiently, reliably, and securely.
Our product – Actify APM Suite (Automotive Program Management) – includes a set of Azure-hosted, cloud-based web applications that is set to transform the automotive program management process for automotive suppliers around the world.
If you enjoy driving changes to improve the lives of your fellow software engineers, QA testers, operations staff and customers, relish solving complex technical challenges and love working with a diverse and talented team, then we would love to hear from you.
As a Senior Engineer (DevOps), you will report to the head of engineering. Duties undertaken will include:
- Helping to determine the overall Engineering DevOps roadmap
- Taking ownership of CI/CD pipelines using Azure DevOps platform
- Migrating pre-existing pipelines to Azure DevOps platform
- Developing automation scripts and tooling to replace error-prone manual operations and enable us to scale our operations as our customer-base grows
- Making proposals to improve engineering processes across development, QA, deployment, and operations, to enable us to deliver more frequent software updates, with a focus on efficiency, reliability, and security
- Communicating technical decisions through design docs, tech demos and presentations
- Mentoring junior engineers via pairing, design review and code review
Skills and Experience
Engineers at Actify have a broad knowledge of a range of computing concepts including UI design, data structures and algorithms, databases, and distributed systems. In addition, as an engineer at Actify, you will strive to be:
- attentive to detail
- always learning
- effective in communication
- intellectually honest
Our tech stack includes .Net Core Web API, Angular and ArangoDB (multi-model document and graph database) and we use a combination of various Azure services to deliver our product. The successful candidate must have:
- A high degree of coding skill in any object-oriented language (e.g., C#, Java, C++)
- Scripting skills targeting Linux or Windows OS, using, e.g. Bash, PowerShell, Python
- Strong awareness of modern web application development technologies and practices
- Significant experience working with Azure cloud services and developing deployment automations
- Significant experience developing build pipelines for CI/CD, working with multiple environments, and supporting the needs of developers, QA testers and operations staff
- The ability to communicate technical decisions, collaborate well with others and lead by example
In addition to the above, we’d like to hear about experience you might have with any of the following:
- NoSQL databases (especially ArangoDB)
- Azure cloud services
- Azure DevOps
- Angular framework (preferably v7 or above)
- Web application security
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computing Science or IT-related field, or equivalent industry experience
Minimum of 5 years software engineering experience, with a significant portion working in a DevOps related role.
This position is based in the UK. We can accommodate office-based staff in our Edinburgh office, or fully remote staff anywhere in the UK.
Occasional international travel may be required.
As well as a competitive salary, our employees receive the following benefits:
- Generous time off with flexible holidays
- Flexible working arrangements and remote work
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and time for learning and personal development
- Private health insurance
- Paid family benefits
For over 15 years, Actify has been helping manufacturers to visualize and interact with design, engineering, and manufacturing information. Now Actify is applying everything we have learned to equip automotive suppliers with enterprise-grade solutions to meet the challenges of program-based manufacturing. Once again, we’re forging partnerships with leaders and innovators in the supplier community to create a new class of software, Actify Automotive Program Management, that speeds operations, improves productivity, and supports continuous improvement.
Actify serves a global customers base, over 85% of whom are in the automotive supply chain. Actify is headquartered in Detroit, Michigan with its R&D center in Edinburgh, Scotland, and sales and support locations in the United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
Employees of Actify share these common values:
- Invested in Customer Success – We are dedicated first and foremost to our customers. We seek relationships based on long-term value, not transactions.
- Responsive – We listen, learn, and follow through to help our customers solve problems. We are always open to finding a better way.
- Collaborative – It is central to how we do things; the more and better the dialogue and teamwork among ourselves and with our customers, the better the outcome. We want to build a customer community.
- Honest and Transparent – Our customers respect the fact that we speak plainly, directly, and truthfully.