The mission of the Allen Institute for Cell Science is to create multi-scale visual models of cell organization, dynamics, and activities. Our approach encompasses large scale data collection, observation, theory, and predictions to understand cellular behavior in normal and pathological contexts. As a division within the Allen Institute, the Allen Institute for Cell Science uses a team-oriented approach, focusing on accelerating foundational research, developing standards and models, and cultivating new ideas to make a transformational impact on science.
We are seeking a highly capable and inspired individual to join the Allen Institute for Cell Science’s Software Engineering team to develop user-facing and backend applications to support our research pipelines. The ideal candidate for the position will have the following qualities:
- Enjoys working closely with teammates towards a common goal
- Is comfortable interacting with scientists and learning about their work, as well explaining what software engineering can provide them
- Is curious and enjoys learning new tools, techniques and technologies relevant to software engineering
- Enjoys developing clean, maintainable code with an eye towards excellence, and considers both the short-term and long-term impact of their technical choices
The Allen Institute believes that team science significantly benefits from the participation of diverse voices, experiences and backgrounds. High-quality science can only be produced when it includes different perspectives. We are committed to increasing diversity across every team and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for this role.
- Work directly with scientists to transform data management requirements into software features
- Design and develop web services to support our file management system
- Design and develop user interfaces for a variety of internal applications including our laboratory information management system, job management system and file management system
- Actively participate in design sessions and provide thoughtful solutions and alternatives
- Perform software development duties using best practices – follow industry standards, develop unit and integration tests, participate in code reviews, etc.
- Follow the Allen Institute’s software management and deployment standards including source code management, issue tracking, staging and deployment standards, and documentation
- Collaborate with the Software Engineering team to define and interface with internal service APIs
- Work together with stakeholders and senior engineers to scope work and set timelines; proactively identify and help mitigate risks to project scope and timeline when needed to ensure milestones and deadlines are achieved
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, or related field and at least one year of experience in a software development team.
· Experience creating RESTful web services with Java, C#, Python, or other similar languages
· Experience with front end platforms and technologies such as React, Vue, or Angular
· Knowledge of SQL and relational database concepts
Preferred Education and Experience
· 2-4 years of experience in a software development team preferred
· Experience translating visual designs into responsive web applications
· Experience with Agile project management strategies
· Experience creating web services with Spring Boot
· Familiarity with MongoDB and document-oriented database concepts
· Experience creating cross-platform applications with Electron
· Demonstrated capability for rapid, self-directed learning and creative problem solving
· May enter laboratory environment, including potential exposure to lasers, biohazards
· Fine motor movements in fingers/hands to operate computers and other office equipment
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
· This role is currently able to work remotely due to COVID-19 and our focus on employee safety. We continue to evaluate the safest options for our employees. As restrictions are lifted in relation to COVID-19, this role will return to work onsite.
· **Please note, this opportunity does not sponsor work visas **
· **Please note, this opportunity does not offer relocation **
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.