Every day, hundreds of thousands of customers visit Amazon to discover, research, and buy products. Millions of interactions are processed each hour, as customers navigate and explore our vast selection of products, features, and services. The Consumer Experience Technology (CXT) organization is behind making Amazon the best shopping experience across desktop, tablet, and mobile apps and web. In order to make this a reality for all our customer we are home to the Retail Accessibility team. This team is dedicated to build tools, provide expertise, and accountability necessary to delight customers with disabilities.
Amazon’s Retail Accessibility team is an agile, fast-moving team looking to ensure we provide the best user experience for all customers, no matter their ability. To do this, we are looking for a truly exceptional Web Development Engineer (WDE) to work with teams across the organization to ensure they are creating the best experience possible for people with disabilities. In this role you will build components, features and tools to help those teams automatically detect accessibility issues in their web and mobile features. Your work to help improve the user experience of Amazon will be used by of millions of users every single day.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ year of professional experience in web software development
- Experience in developing accessible user interfaces following WCAG 2.0
- Experience developing AJAX interfaces with AJAX libraries and frameworks (e.g. YUI, DOJO, JQuery, Prototype, etc.)
- Experience in a Unix/Linux environment
- Familiarity with scripting languages (e.g. PHP, Ruby) is a plus
- OO design and coding skills in Java
- Understanding of web services technologies such as HTTP, WSDL, XSD, and REST
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in communicating with business teams, other development teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Strong interest in building for accessibility with the latest technologies
- Experience working with teams across multiple locations and time zones
*Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.