Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they’re not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
CarGurus’ Listing Services Team is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to help our users find the car they’re looking for as efficiently as possible. See your solutions impact millions of global users every day as you tackle challenges such as
- Improve search experience and performance for millions of users across millions of cars
- Make the car shopping experience enjoyable and more transparent
- Help users discover the right car for them
- Enable new ways of buying cars, such as buying online and having your car delivered
- Build out platforms to enable us to iterate faster and respond to our consumers quicker
What you’ll do
- Provide technical and architectural leadership
- Collaborate with engineers and managers across the organization to understand and tackle technical challenges
- Work in a cross-functional team with data analysts, product managers, and of course other engineers
- Participate in whiteboard sessions and design conversations on engineering the best solution to the challenges at hand
- Test out new insights with novel and quick experiments
- Write clean, well-tested, and efficient code
- Iterate rapidly and deploy changes daily
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring and improving software
- Have fun!
What you’ll bring
- 8+ years of experience; ideally in fast paced environments; we are pushing new code daily
- Experience architecting performant large scale web applications and knowledge of modern technologies that enable them
- Extensive experience with concurrency, multi-threading, and event driven architectures
- Expert level knowledge of Java
- A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- Solid experience in caching strategies, performance tuning
- Experience in Search Engine Framework and NoSQL is preferred
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly, with loose direction
- The ability to work across teams with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Willingness to work outside your comfort zones, to evaluate and work with new technologies
- Data-driven when making decisions
- Biased towards action and automation
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.