Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world – picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social/entertainment/business existence REAL.
Our path to innovation stems from our culture and outstanding people. We embrace diversity, celebrate inclusion, and champion ideas—across the table and around the world. This is the Ciena network. You won’t find complex organization charts and stiff protocols here! Innovation travels faster in an atmosphere where ideas can be freely discussed and brainstormed on the fly. A big part of work is about enjoying more satisfying outcomes—both personal and professional.
How You Will Contribute:
Ciena’s Management, Control and Plan (MCP) is a next generation Network Management solution for IP, Packet and Optical networks. Based on microservices architecture, MCP helps Network operators plan, provision and troubleshoot multi-layer networks quickly using a highly intuitive user interface in addition to available open REST APIs.
As a UI/UX Developer, you’ll create outstanding user interfaces and enjoyable user experiences for our customers. Our customers include large multi-national network providers, and the large content providers that use those networks. In this role you will work closely with UX and Product Owners to develop features and improvements that solve challenging issues in today’s networks. You will own customer facing features throughout the entire development lifecycle, all while being part of a supportive and inclusive team that focuses on people as much as it does on the products we build.
· In partnership with product owners, you’ll understand problems and validate proposed solutions.
· You will be responsible for designing and building efficient, re-usable UI components to support complex user workflows.
· You will be accountable for estimating, planning and delivering tasks on time and with quality.
· You will ensure code maintainability and best coding practices by participating in code reviews and following established standards for coding, accessibility, and cross-browser functionality.
· You’ll actively participate in maintaining production code over time through improvements and bug fixes.
· You’ll play a significant role in all development phases – plan, design, implement, review, test, deploy and support.
In addition to playing an important role in the hiring of new team members, you will provide on-going mentorship and coaching.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
· Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive deadlines.
· Agility – you are readily able to make key decisions and manage competing and ever-changing account priorities.
· Communication expertise – the ability to influence and tailor your message and ideas to the audience to ensure understanding and buy in.
· An ability to go ‘up and down the ladder’ – capable of seeing the big picture, but also understanding the importance of the details and analysis.
The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
Relationship builder – with an innate ability to influence, you’re able to quickly develop trusted connections and get work done across multi sites.
· A commitment to innovation – you keep abreast of the market and competitive developments and are always keen to formulate new ideas and problem solve.
· A passion for coaching – fully understanding and appreciating the power of the mentorship role.
The Must Haves:
· Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related field coupled with proven industry experience.
· Knowledge of advanced HTML/CSS.
· Experience with continuous integration, mocking and deployment.
· Extensive testing and quality assurance experience.
· Optical Networking knowledge.
· Docker or other virtualized container services.
· Conversant with the Agile development process
· We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
· We believe an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
· We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and also offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
· We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
· We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
· We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer unlimited paid time off!
· Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.