LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
We are looking for a hands-on Big Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. The role of Big Data Engineer in our Datahub team is accountable for delivering the infrastructure solutions of assigned big data applications throughout the complete use case lifecycle. Responsibilities include identifying and documenting big data use case requirements; leading the design and development of solutions; accountability for the implementation and production roll out of the solutions and training of the production staff for steady state assistance. The solution delivered need to be adoptable in various markets, resilient, scalable, secured and with high performance that meet all the functional and non-functional requirements.
· Designing and developing data ingestion and processing/transformation frameworks leveraging Hadoop Open Source frameworks
· Architectural design and solution implementation of large-scale Big Data use cases.
· Designing, developing, and integrating ETL/ELT data pipelines.
· Actively participate in addressing non-functional requirements such as performance, security, scalability, continuous integration, migration and compatibility.
· Take ownership from design of the feature through first lines of code to how it performs in production (You build it, you run it)
· Ensure fully automated testing by designing and writing automated unit, integration and acceptance tests.
What do you bring to the role?
· BS/MS in computer science or equivalent technical experience.
· Strong coding skills in Scala language with the Spark framework, as well as some experience with Shell Scripting languages.
· A coding background in either Java or R.
· Experience in API development, API product expertise, API design patterns, and API Security (API Key Validation, Authentication, Authorization and Identity)
· Should have worked in Hadoop and Data Engineering space for at least 2 years in Apache Hadoop distributions.
· Strong knowledge of big data open source technologies such as Hadoop, Workflow Managers such as NiFi, Kafka, Druid, Hive, Storm, Ignite, Kudu.
· Minimum of 4 to 5 years of development experience handling variety of data (structured/unstructured), data formats (flat files, XML, JSON, relational, legacy) and data storage (HDFS, Hbase, NoSQL databases)
· Experience in developing batch and real time data streams to create meaningful insights and analytics
· Experience with data loading tools like Flume, Sqoop, as well as different layers of Hadoop Framework – Storage (HDFS, HBASE), Analysis (Hive/Kudu/Druid etc.), Map Reduce Jobs, Engineering (Jobs and Workflows).
· Strong understanding of different file formats (e.g. AVRO, ORC, Parquet, etc..) and data sources moving data into and out of HDFS.
· Good knowledge of issue tracking (Jira), source code management (Bitbucket), Continuous Integrations tools (Jenkins), Linux/Mac OS administration, build tools, package management and testing framework.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
· Hybrid work schedule for most roles
· Company share ownership program
· Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
· Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
· Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
· Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
· Wellness and recognition programs
· Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).