Who we are
giffgaff – the mobile network run by you. We’re a mobile brand owned by Virgin Media O2 but run by our members.
We changed the mobile industry – offering value, flexibility and mutuality – but we aren’t done yet. We’re hiring for a number of roles to continue our growth.
The role and the team
The quality and maintainability of our software is very important for us, we are looking for engineers with real world experience, especially in terms of the whole development lifecycle. We don’t ask for formal qualifications or degree requirements, just a strong skillset in some of the technologies listed below and a passion and thirst for learning.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at giffgaff.
Software engineering is at the heart of what we do here at giffgaff – our agile engineering teams build and support a set of applications and services that combined create our unique user experience on the giffgaff website, enable our internal teams to work in the most productive and efficient ways and enable a whole range of awesome features via modern APIs, events and microservices.
We have a culture of building and owning all the code that we use, and take pride in this. This allows us to keep full control on what’s going on and how we shape solutions
Location – Remote UK or London
We have a wonderful office located in Uxbridge, in leafy West London (with free parking, if you choose to drive). But if commuting to that part of the country isn’t warming your cockles – please don’t be put off from applying for this role.
This role can be fully remote (in the UK) if you prefer, but we’ll ferry you in a few times a year from wherever you are in the UK for team or company days, or our famous giffgaff summer and Christmas celebrations.
Accountable for :
Delivering high quality and maintainable code that is thoroughly tested at all levels.
Key responsibilities :
- Work with a full-stack attitude within a self-organising, cross functional product engineering team using extreme programming practices – notably pair programming and test-driven development
- Build, support and maintain automated, fault-tolerant, scalable products and solutions that are continuously delivered into our production environment
- Leverage your experience and skills to assist your team in establishing the best architecture for your products and services
- Be technically curious, tackling problems without giving up, and producing solutions that less-experienced engineers can use, maintain, and learn from
- Know how to develop and follow a sense of purpose. Be willing to point out, own, and fix things that are broken about our company and in your own career track
Skills, experience and attitudes :
- Java 11 with Maven & Spring Boot
- TDD experience and mindset
- JUnit, mocking and stubbing
- API design using RESTful concepts
- Event Driven Architecture
- Docker and containerisation
- Reading & Writing clean and maintainable code
- Debugging & Troubleshooting skills
- Pair Programming
- Integration testing
- Alerting & Monitoring
- SOLID Principles
- Twelve Factor App Design
- Solution Architecture
- Networking concepts
Our commitment to DE&I
At giffgaff we want to challenge the old way of doing things. People, and the way they work, define our culture and we encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to the gaff. That’s why we believe in creating an equitable, fairer, more inclusive business that champions different ideas and perspectives. We may be sort-of-small but we’re big on that caring, sharing thing & strive to create a supportive culture.
As a lean organisation, our team is built of a diverse, spirited range of people who are multi-skilled, highly motivated and flexible.
Our perks & benefits
There are also loads of brilliant benefits that you can get when you’re a permanent employee, such as… (full list at https://www.giffgaff.io/jobs)
- Choose your own Public Holidays
- Flexible Hybrid working
- Pension Scheme
- Learning fund
- Cycle to work scheme
- Travel insurance
- Healthcare cash plan
- Dental insurance
- Employee Health Assessment
- Private medical insurance
- Car allowance
- Life Assurance
- Options to buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Team lunches, company events
Use the following link to apply https://www.giffgaff.io/jobs/senior-engineer-tp-dp-02