The Principal Software Engineer at GoHealth will be a lead role in designing high-performing, scalable, web-based software solutions that handle a high volume of transactions each day.
The ideal Principal Software Engineer will be a creative and strategic thinker, an effective motivator and experienced leader. This person will be able to thrive in an Agile environment and will be process- and technology-improvement oriented.
The Principal Software Engineer will be an integral part of our Product Development team, serving as a thought leader in the group and as a mentor to their team.
Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, GoHealth has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to an office setting once we’re safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities’ and the CDC
- Serve as the go-to technical lead for high priority technical matters at GoHealth.
- Proactively identify new ways to develop and improve processes within your team and projects.
- Connect lower level technical details to the needs of the business.
- Advocate for and champion overall code quality, reuse, and extensibility, and serve as technical subject matter expert.
- Actively build, develop, and lead your team. Encourage ongoing professional development of all team members, mentor junior developers, and cultivate a positive working environment.
- Promote thought leadership within the company and engage in start-up community activities like engagement with GitHub, Stack Overflow, and Chicago-based meetups.
- Develop extensive knowledge of GoHealth platform architecture, services, and applications.
Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in Software Engineering (software design, architecture, implementation, deployment, and support).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field is preferred.
- Well-rounded experience, with a full-stack background in front-end and back-end Java development.
- Experience with Linux or BSD, and Open Source tools, frameworks, and technologies.
- Proven experience collaborating with multiple business layers, both internal and external, to deliver SaaS products through all aspects of the SDLC.
- Thorough understanding of the software development process, automation, and testing.
- Previous team leadership experience is required.
- Experience with various hosting solutions (AWS, VPS, on-premise, etc.).
- Fluent on topics of networking, transport protocols, security, and monitoring.
- Strong experience with various types of databases/application servers.
- Out-of-the-box thinker, ready to assert their vision and demonstrate passion for their work product.
Benefits and Perks:
Open vacation policy
- 401k program with company match
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Commuter and transit benefits
- Professional growth opportunities
- Casual dress code
- Generous employee referral bonuses
- Happy hours, ping-pong tournaments, and more company-sponsored events
- Subsidized gym memberships
- GoHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer