Come play a key role in building the next generation of the Grindr app! Working on our Android team, you’ll have the opportunity to solve challenging problems, work with the latest technologies, collaborate with a kind and capable team, and contribute to a one-of-a-kind app. The Grindr team continues to innovate as the largest social media app in its category, with over 5M daily active users and 15M monthly active users.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with the VP of Mobile Engineering, the Android team, Product Managers, and our QA team to build and maintain a fast, reliable, app. We deeply value ownership, empowerment, proactivity, data-driven decisions, and user focus. You’ll be an important voice in our product & software architecture decisions.
What’s the Job?
- Use the latest technologies to develop highly innovative consumer mobile products.
- Designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, and enhancing elegant mobile solutions.
- Working collaboratively with a brilliant cross-functional team to make Grindr the best app it can be for its users.
- Working directly with quality engineers to identify test cases and devise efficient, scalable testing processes to allow us to run weekly releases.
- Owning projects and deeply understanding the why behind them.
- Mentoring other engineers and fostering career growth.
- Collaborating effectively across our engineering teams in North America and Taiwan.
What We’ll Love About You
- You have a B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- You have 4+ years experience building Android applications.
- Deep expertise in Kotlin and Coroutines.
- You have experience with large Android codebases and complex, high-performance apps.
- Strong practical knowledge of software engineering best practices and design patterns such as MVVM.
- You have experience with Android app performance optimization & metrics.
- You’re a strong problem solver and fast learner.
- You’re compassionate, collaborative, and deeply care for the people around you.
- You’re passionate about top quality code and using the latest best practices.
- You’re mission driven.
- You build software with your users and their needs top of mind.
- You enjoy shipping products, measuring value to users, and iterating.
We’ll Really Swoon if You have
- You have experience working with Coroutine Flows.
- You have experience working with international teams and/or speak Mandarin.
What you’ll love about us
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ people around the world
- Remote First: We have satellite offices in LA, NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago, and are remote first across the US and Canada. More than 30% of our employees work outside of cities where we have satellite offices
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and equity
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and up to 90% cost coverage for gender-affirming care
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of daily users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ+ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ+ community.
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer.