A Career at HARMAN
We are ONE HARMAN. We are greater than the sum of our divisions or brands. We proudly talk about our many iconic brands and describe how our technologies are transforming the car, the workplace, and everywhere in between. We work hard. We create useful, playful, beautiful things. We strive for excellence and we aim to win as a team. No matter the position, every employee at HARMAN is expected to demonstrate our core competencies: leadership, change orientation, collaboration, judgment, and a results-driven mindset. At HARMAN, we expect brilliance. You can expect a career full of brilliant possibilities.
About the Role
As the Sr. Principal Software Engineer, you will be architecting, developing, and maintaining software platforms associated with next-generation audio, video, light & control systems in Professional Solutions. You will collaborate closely with CSU, CTG/CTO Office & Product Management Teams to identify, prioritize & develop software platforms. You will also be responsible to work closely with NPI teams to integrate software platforms in order to deliver successful products.
You will be reporting to the Director, Software Platforms, Engineering / R&D.
What You Will Do
- Responsible for architecting, developing, deploying & maintaining software platforms associated with next-generation audio, video & control systems for Professional Solutions.
- Mentor a global team across the lifecycle of a software product including Requirement Management, Design, Development, Testing, Integration & Release Management. Special focus on Architecture Design, Build & Test Automation, System Profiling & large-scale deployment.
- Maintain a process-oriented culture for a team developing software products using agile methodologies.
- Participate in overall business planning by contributing current knowledge and future vision of how technology and systems will enable business strategy, growth, and competitive positioning. The CoC Software lead will propose projects derived from these regular planning sessions and align with the Platform leaders for their approval. Collaborate closely with CTG/CTO, CSU & PMO groups to identify & prioritize the right platforms for development.
- Talent Management by being at the forefront of the technology curve and building up organizational competencies within the group to address the new areas.
- Portfolio Management includes ‘make or buy’ decisions in his field of expertise and the ability to integrate acquired technologies into the HARMAN portfolio.
- Financial & Commercial Acumen – The individual must have demonstrated an ability to think beyond the technology itself and will understand key business drivers that ensure technology investment will provide substantial value or improvements to customers.
- Team Player – The successful individual will have deep and broad experience leading and managing a team and collaborating with business owners and technology peers. He/She will be able to effectively communicate, motivate, coach, and develop technical excellence. Establish credibility throughout the organization and with Corporate Executive Management as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
What You Need
- Bachelor’s (Master’s preferred) degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in architecting & developing large-scale software applications in C++ / C#.
- Experience with building highly scalable APIs supporting large high-volume mission-critical environments.
- Profound knowledge of software architecture styles and design principles.
- Experience with Scrum in an Agile Development environment and familiarity with relevant tools.
What is Nice to Have
- 10+ years of experience in driving and leading software pre-development and core development, understanding the needs of program and product execution – the technical capability to guide strategically and manage resources – experienced in leading agile software development.
- Understanding Professional Solutions in the domain of Audio, Video, Lighting & Control will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of audio signal processing or audio technologies is highly desirable.
- Experience building cross-platform applications is highly advantageous.
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel domestic and international 10% of the time.
- Willingness to work in an office in Richardson, TX.
- Able to successfully complete a background investigation and a drug screen as a condition of employment.
What We Offer
- Competitive wellness benefits and 401K Savings Retirement plan.
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities.
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work-life integration and collaboration in a global environment.
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University’s business and leadership academies.
- Tuition Reimbursement.
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, Harman/Kardon, etc.)
- “Be Brilliant” employee recognition and rewards program.
About HARMAN International
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 50 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. HARMAN offers a great work environment, brilliant career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with HARMAN!