The Technology Group at HMH is a dynamic team of technology professionals dedicated to the nimble delivery of quality educational content for a digital age. Not your traditional IT house, the Technology Group actively partners across HMH to develop applications and platforms across a diverse range of digital channels. Led by Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Brook Colangelo, the Technology Group devotes itself to identifying and implementing digital solutions that meet the challenges facing students, teachers, parents and lifelong learners today, both inside and outside the classroom.
We are creating teams full of innovative, eager software engineers to build the products and services platform that will transform our industry. Staff Software Engineers will own and be technology leaders of the highest impact projects.
These engineers have a background of exceptional technical competence in taking ownership of a high impact project and leading the design and development of this product across the full technology stack from inception to production.
They set the bar for a team for technical excellence, acting as engineering role models and mentoring Software and Senior Software Engineers. They will be subject matter experts in certain verticals, but will have expertise for the full technology stack with the knowhow to apply the right technology to the job.
The Staff Engineer will improve technology practices and methodologies within the group and communication across the organization. Often apply outward thought; leadership. Representing HMH in industry groups and open-source communities.
Staff Engineers are good communicators and great team players and with an added ability to communicate and pitch ideas, concepts and Architectures to senior stakeholders.
- Contribute code to complex projects
- Engineering leader and influencer for the development team of 5-10 engineers
- Program-level solution design/technology and product evaluations
- Applying subject matter expertise on improving technology practices, standards and methodologies within the group, and communication across the organization.
Skills & Experience
- 10+ years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Exceptional technical competence that includes a portfolio of thought leadership and individual technical accomplishments.
- Proven track record as a leader in initiating, architecting and building distributed and scalable solutions across the complete stack, including front end, back-end, web services and database layers.
- Expertise in a wide range of technologies is preferred with the know-how to choose and apply the right technology for the job.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is committed to a comprehensive policy of Equal Opportunities and we aim to create a workplace which provides for equal opportunities for all employees and potential employees.
About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people's lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. Among the world's largest providers of pre-K-12 education solutions in both the institutional and consumer markets, HMH combines cutting-edge research, editorial excellence and technological innovation to improve teaching and learning environments and solve complex literacy and education challenges. HMH's interactive, results-driven education solutions are utilized by 50 million students in over 150 countries, and its renowned and awarded novels, non-fiction, children's books and reference works are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://www.hmhco.com/.