As the agency-model execution services arm of the Nomura Group, Instinet Incorporated subsidiaries provide brokerage services to clients in over 65 markets around the world. Through its advanced suite of electronic trading strategies, experienced high-touch trading group, top-ranked Commission Management services, award-winning desktop trading platform, and unparalleled access to insightful analytics, content and unique liquidity, Instinet helps institutions lower overall trading costs and ultimately improve investment performance. In the US, Instinet also offers a boutique-model Equity Research offering to assist their clients in the pursuit of alpha generation in a changing landscape. Over the course of its 45+ year history, Instinet has introduced a range of now industry-standard trading technologies, and has been an innovator at the forefront of the market’s evolution. For more information, please visit www.instinet.com.
The Head of FPGA will lead the design, development and deployment of the global Latency Sensitive Electronic Trading (LSET) Ultra Low Latency initiatives
- Drive the development and design of the Instinet LSET ultra low latency hardware stack to ensure the current market position is maintained and enhanced.
- Continuously innovate the current architecture to improve latency and increase system stability to maintain Instinet market position.
- Spearhead the implementation of a new, next generation initiative to replace legacy LSET technology with new, market leading offering.
- Work with business and support stakeholders on product enhancements and deployments whilst maintaining progress on strategic initiatives.
- Drive adoption and enhancement of agile/SCRUM framework in operation and fully implement the company’s agile aspirations within the LSET team.
- Implement cultural change towards service-oriented organization to realize Instinet’s SaaS aspirations and work with business and support teams to implement.
- Nurture and develop team structure, capabilities, output, training and career progression.
Key objectives critical to success in this role:
- 15+ years of experience in the design and development of FPGA systems with at least 10 of them in finance.
- 10+ years of demonstrated management of globally distributed IT development teams. Strong people management skills with experience leading small, highly skilled engineering teams. Ability to recruit, train, mentor and motivate high-performance development teams.
- 10+ years of experience designing, developing and operating IT systems in the capital markets industry with a focus on high-performance, front office technologies.
- Hands on experience coding and developing algorithmic trading systems in VHDL/Verilog; experience in C++, C, Python, Java and other programming languages highly desirable.
- Bachelor or Master Degree in computer science, engineering or related disciplines; MBA, PhD or other advanced degree highly desirable.
Architecture and Design – Demonstrated ability to architect complex, reliable systems in a low-latency trading environment.
Software Delivery Management – Excellent software engineering management skills. Effectively plan and iteratively deliver on projects with 12-24 a month time horizon.
Teamwork – Collaborate with architecture, infrastructure and trading operations teams to deliver cost-effective operational software platforms with low defect rates into a supportable global production environment.
Business Partnership – Lead collaboration with quantitative research teams in NY, London and Hong Kong.
Technical Expertise – Deep understanding of the process and modeling structure of FPGA Trading systems. Able to translate complex, strategic functional and non-functional requirements into working software.
Domain Expertise – In-depth understanding of Low Latency trading of global equities; experience with Futures, FX and/or Fixed Income products highly desirable
Culture & Conduct – Active in making a positive contribution to Instinet’s culture and values, ensuring a respectful and inclusive working environment and setting the highest standards of integrity in all dealings. Creates and pursues own development and finds opportunities to achieve objectives.
Client Centricity & Business Acumen – Drives, builds, and sustains prosperous and lasting client relationships. Focused on business success and profitability. Seeks, analyses and links complex data. Generates viable options, opportunities, and ways forward through novel and/or tried and tested solutions.
Strategy & Innovation – Stays ahead, up to date and aligned with Instinet’s global strategy, builds clarity from ambiguity and enables the implementation and acceptance of change. Makes sound decisions appropriate to own level and is positive and nimble when circumstances demand it.
Leadership & Collaboration – Motivates, supports and encourages others. Provides feedback, helps build others careers. Co-operates and collaborates cross-regionally and cross-divisionally with colleagues inside and outside own business. Proactive when conflict arises.
Communication & Connectivity – Conveys information clearly, accurately and succinctly and adjusts to the audience’s needs. Has credibility and impact, uses a range of effective interpersonal skills to engage others to adopt a position and/or take action. Knows when to listen and participate. Builds and sustains relationships. Contributes actively to help create effective partnerships.
Execution & Delivery – Has the determination and resiliency to deliver. Takes the initiative, originates action and keeps things moving. Commits to a course of action to accomplish goals. Formulates objectives and priorities to build and sustain long-term business interests. Drives work to successful completion.
Instinet is an Equal Opportunity Employer