Markit Digital is looking for talented, intellectual developers who have a passion for solving difficult problems. We need software engineers who can help us develop and maintain systems that are always online and can handle hundreds of thousands of transactions per second.
We write code primarily in 1) C++ using features from C++11 and C++14, and 2) C#. We are looking for engineers who stay up-to-date with the latest advances in technology, whether that means C++, C#, Java, compilers, hardware, or operating systems. You are passionate about technology and can act as an ambassador to other teams within Markit to keep our systems moving forward.
A good candidate will have a solid understanding of software design patterns and architectural best practices. Much of our time is spent focusing on developing new capabilities or reworking and enhancing legacy capabilities, necessitating strong design skills which will lead to robust solutions.
We spend a lot of time interfacing with various system components which require understanding of networking, application configuration, and server configuration. While you may not be directly responsible for operations activities, you will need to understand systems in order to interact with DevOps and infrastructure teams.
We make use of various SQL and no-SQL solutions, so familiarity with MS SQL Server, Cassandra, Hadoop, ElasticSearch, etc. are a plus.
We hold regular code reviews to ensure our software is at the highest quality and so that we can all learn from each other. We regularly collaborate via whiteboard design sessions and virtual sessions. We constantly challenge our own assumptions and never accept “because that is the way we’ve always done it” as a justification.
As a developer, your work will used by millions of real people internationally and by some of the largest financial institutions in the world. Here are some examples of the volumes of data we regularly handle to whet your appetite:
· 130 million document search queries per week across an indexed universe of 98 million documents
· 3.2 million market data quotes processed per second
· 400 million identification symbols contained in our cross referencing system.
Some other things we look for:
· Required: Computer Science or related degree, or equivalent work experience.
· A good sense of humor, eagerness to learn, and a drive to be successful.
· Real-time event processing background and high-throughput optimization skills.
· Experience with concurrent / parallel execution.
· Experience working with the big data in a high-speed, high-availability environment.
· CMake and TeamCity knowledge helpful.
· ElasticSearch experience is a bonus.
· Background in the financial markets, economic theory, or statistics is a plus.