Headquartered in London, Ontario, Northern is an integrated digital solutions agency helping brands across North America navigate digital transformation. Our solutions help brands grow by optimizing their digital customer journey. We have strategically assembled a group of innovators, who have a passion for technology, design, and improving digital experiences.
What We’re Looking For
We are currently seeking a talented and experienced Magento Developer who is passionate about web development and eCommerce to join our team. As a Developer at Northern, you will have the opportunity to work with a collaborative team of highly skilled developers.
*Hybrid work is available for this role
Benefits of Becoming a Northerner
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing:
- Robust Benefits plan, including a Health Spending Account
- Wellness Program & LifeWorks EAP
- Fitness Reimbursement Program
- Vet Care Program
- RRSP Matching
- Profit-Sharing Performance Bonuses
- Endless Professional Growth Opportunities
- Delicious Meals & Company Social Events
- Free Onsite Parking
- Referral Bonus Program
- Flexible work environment – so you can work where & when you work best
- Allowance to help set up a home office
Just to name a few!…
Duties & Responsibilities
- Mentor and train other peer developers and be a role model for best practices in technical development.
- Maintain an understanding of current and emerging web technologies and programming best practices through efforts such as: continuing education, self-directed research, participation in conferences, forums, workshops, and/or group discussions.
- Provide best-in-class platform solutions that achieve or exceed client business requirements.
- Production of clean, structured, documented, efficient, error-free, and concise code.
- Responsible for the full understanding of task requests and providing the best solutions based on both client and company needs, as well as overall development goals.
- Participate in peer code review seek out and provide constructive feedback and support to and from peer developers and development directors.
- Responsible for communicating risks, issues, or potential problems and escalating to the appropriate stakeholders, regardless of the size or scope of the issue at hand.
Knowledge, Experience, & Education Required
- A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for development.
- 5+ years of experience working with several of the following technologies is preferred;
- Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge
- 2+ yrs of Magento development, administration, application performance optimization, and caching using redis and varnish
- BigCommerce development (stencil) and app development
- LAMP, LNMP Stacks (Linux(Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Git Source Control and best practices
- PHP 5/7, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique and database tuning
- PHP Frameworks: Zend, Symfony
- Front-end Build Tools: yarn, sass, gulp, webpack, babel, etc
- Front-end Frameworks: Bootstrap, Foundation
- Shopify development (liquid and theme kit) and app development
- WordPress development
- Other web languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc.
- Cloud Providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
Since its founding in 2015, Northern has grown to nearly 200 employees, helping leading brands across North America navigate digital transformation.
Northern is positioned as a leader in the performance advertising industry as a Facebook Marketing Partner and Google Premier Partner —awarded to only 3% of agency partners in Canada. Our campaigns with leading brands in North America have been recognized as best in class through the Google Premier Partner Awards, Search Engine Land Awards, and the Canadian Search Awards.
Northern’s continued growth, strengthened by our strong company culture, has led to multiple recognitions by Great Place to Work® in Canada including Best Workplaces™ in Canada, Ontario, for Women, for Hybrid Work, and more.
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.