The Overwatch Imaging Software Engineer will design and implement software and firmware to transform high-level user inputs and raw data into real-time customer intelligence. The full-stack Engineer will work hands-on with prototype and low-rate production automated imaging systems to develop and test embedded hardware drivers, realtime onboard image processing and artificial intelligence algorithms, and user interfaces.
Overwatch Imaging is changing the way airborne image-based intelligence is created. Rooted in the airborne intelligence and drone technology cluster of Hood River, Oregon, Overwatch Imaging is revolutionizing human understanding of the world through computer vision-optimized sensing. Overwatch Imaging makes customized imaging payloads designed for mission-critical, automated remote sensing roles. Our products allow tactical UAS and general aviation aircraft to automatically detect small targets, collect precision survey maps, conduct autonomous search, and provide real-time image-based intelligence to users. Overwatch Imaging payloads feature autonomously gimballed cameras combined with onboard image processing and AI software, which we leverage to reduce operator workload, accelerate data processing workflows, and identify hard-to-find small signals from large datasets.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
The ideal candidate will be strong in many of the following areas:
- Imaging Payload Embedded Software: Supports code development, version management and testing for motion control, camera and IMU drivers, and data management. Balances code-change urgency and unit-to-unit customization with long-term software sustainability and code reuse.
- Image Data Processing: Develops image data processing software for real-time and post-flight automatic detection, visualization, rectification, mosaicking, and more.
- User Interface: Modifies elements of the Overwatch user interfaces and associated underlying datasets to simplify the user experience, accelerate mission planning and processing workflows, and expand payload compatibility with external systems such as ArcGIS and Google Earth.
- API Design: Designs and Develops API to communicate between UI and sensors/cameras.
- Software Deployment: Creates automatic build tools to build, test, and deploy new software versions and manage dependencies.
Experience and Education:
- Formal education in software engineering, computer science, aeronautical engineering, robotics, optics or related fields.
- Experience in airborne or space-based remote sensing and image processing; hands-on experience with mid-sized unmanned aircraft and/or airborne camera systems.
- Academic or professional experience with image processing software, machine learning techniques, and/or autonomous systems.
- Experience with device driver implementation and embedded system deployment.
- Knowledge of multithreading, parallel programming, interoperability, and algorithm optimization.
- Experience with version control software (Git)
- 5+ years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree, or
- 2+ years of experience with a Master’s degree, or a Ph.D degree.
- Programming in C, C++, C#, Python, CUDA, OpenCV, and MATLAB
- Control Systems, IMU, and GPS/INS Hardware and Software
- Linux Operating System on GPU-Accelerated Hardware
- Machine Learning Model Training and Refinement
- Software versioning and branch management
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced small startup business environment
- Highly motivated self-starter able to work independently and with a team
- Collaborates well in a small team environment
- Enjoys hands-on work and learning new skills
- Eager to learn and solve real-world problems and accept new challenges
- Takes pride in seeing new products reach operational use quickly
This position is based in Hood River, Oregon, and requires occasional business travel and work in and around light aircraft. All applicants must be authorized to work on a permanent basis in the United States.
What We Offer:
- Remote Friendly: Software positions are available for employees to choose from onsite, hybrid or fully remote.
- Growth Opportunities: As a team member of a true startup, you will learn by doing and shape our future. The opportunities are limitless for those who want to grow their career.
- Impact Opportunity: We work on missions that matter to keep people safe and make the world better, and we do it without bureaucracy at the speed of a startup.
- Team Collaboration: Work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment with amazing teammates. The Overwatch Imaging leadership team believes in an open-door policy, meaning everyone has a voice and access to guidance, advice, feedback, and the ability to pitch crazy new products or ideas.
- Late Start Wednesday: You will look forward to Wednesdays! We start work at 1pm every Wednesday!
- Time Off: Generous PTO to empower employees to make decisions about work life balance based on work and home needs.
- Holidays: Overwatch Imaging recognizes 10 company holidays.
- Ownership: Equity/Stock Options in our rapidly growing company.
- Health Benefits: Medical/Dental premiums 100% covered by Overwatch Imaging for employees and their families, plus available pre-tax health savings account.
- 401K: Employer matching contributions up to 4% of pay.