PagerDuty is seeking Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers to join our diverse, customer-centric technology company!
As a Software Engineer at PagerDuty, you’ll be part of a team that’s intensely focused on our customers and the engineering community. We design, build, and run robust systems that extend and enhance our amazing products. Of course, we use our own products ourselves!
Established in late 2021, Lisbon, Portugal is PagerDuty’s second location in Europe, after London, UK, and with activity further bolstered by a sales team across the continent. Dutonians in Portugal are valued members of our global team, with equal access to competitive pay and benefits, learning and development programs, structured career architecture and opportunities for advancement, company culture events, and the enriching experience of collaborating with colleagues all around the world.
Europe is the fastest growing region of the business with international revenue increasing 41 percent year over year in PagerDuty’s second quarter. The Lisbon location represents an opportunity to accelerate hiring as we scale towards $1 billion annual recurring revenue (ARR). Based on the success of the region, we are excited to have expanded our presence in Europe with our Portugal location, along with now offering our customers a European hosting option for data assets, including customer-generated data.
We are thrilled to be a part of Portugal’s flourishing technology network and provide career-making moments at PagerDuty.
Overview of the Role
Do you relish the opportunity to design, build and run mission critical applications? Do you want to get the attention of hundreds of thousands of engineers and technology leaders around the globe 24/7 so they can fix problems? Yes? Then read on to find out more about what makes PagerDuty a great place to be an Engineer!
- From day one, you’ll be designing, coding, testing and shipping front-end interfaces, APIs, or backend applications and microservices that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers.
- Since we own and operate what we build, you’ll collaborate closely with engineers across teams.
- We practice Chaos Engineering, so you’ll be involved in our weekly Failure Friday sessions, where we deliberately break our systems, find weaknesses, and fix them proactively.
- With 14,000+ global customers and growing, you’ll be solving really interesting technical challenges while helping to scale our product to keep up with demand.
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
Skills and Attributes
- You have a track record of participating in and delivering successful engineering projects
- You’ve had experience implementing distributed and highly available systems, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t
- You are comfortable with loosely defined requirements where you exercise your analytical skills to clarify questions, share your approach and collaborate with the rest of the team to build/test elegant solutions
- You have a drive to get results without letting anything get in your way
- You have a desire to stay ahead of the latest industry trends and technologies, a track record of sharing contributions to the wider engineering community and a commitment to continuous learning
- You have an understanding of the importance of empathy: you should have an open mind to others – no matter how senior or junior they are
- You have a calm, assertive approach to diagnosing and fixing urgent problems
- 3+ years of development experience working on customer-facing and web – based systems
- Experience designing, building, and operating large systems with scalability, availability, and performance requirements
- Experience working in an agile environment with iterative development and fast feedback
- Mastery of at least one web programming framework (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Phoenix/Elixir)
- Experience with at least one front-end web framework (React, Ember, Backbone)
- Experience with tools that ensure your high quality work makes a smooth, automated, repeatable transition from your machine to our staging and production environments
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
We are dedicated to providing a culture where our people are happy, enabled and inspired to do their best. One of the ways we do this is by developing a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports employees and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave – up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Paid employee volunteer time – 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
- Dutonian Wellness Days – scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO and scheduled holidays
- HibernationDuty – a week each year when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a global leader in digital operations management, serving over 14,000 customers and 850,000 users worldwide, including 65% of the Fortune 100.
For the teams who build and run digital systems, PagerDuty is the best way to manage the urgent, mission-critical work that is essential to keeping digital services always on. We make it easy to handle any unplanned task, event, or opportunity, right away.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, 50% of our board of directors is comprised of women, 45% of our managers are from underrepresented groups, and we are a proud member of the Pledge 1% Movement, committed to donating 1% Equity, 1% Employee time, and 1% Product to accelerate change in our communities. We are Great Place to Work-certified™ and our product is top rated in its category on TrustRadius.
From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.