Postmates runs one of the largest marketplaces in the country, connecting consumers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. Building high powered intelligence atop our large-scale datasets is a serious challenge and we’re looking for candidates who are ready to dig in. Postmates isn’t just another ad platform or mobile app for delivering static content: We have real customers paying real money for a real service.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll use your full toolkit – statistical modeling, machine learning, data mining, data visualization, and software engineering – to develop data products and models that are used by millions of users and power the growth of our business. You will collaborate with a strong team of engineers, product managers and data analysts in defining the frontier of data products and models in the three-sided marketplace. Data scientists will work on how to formulate a model from a real business problem, determine evaluation metrics, evaluate different modeling approaches, conduct data analysis, and build features and algorithms for the various challenging problems at Postmates
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable more intelligent matching, optimize the overall marketplace efficiency and provide valuable insights to our merchants and Postmates
- Large scale Machine Learning algorithms that powers our Search Ranking models and Personalized Recommendation Engine
- Predicting the Postmate Delivery Time (PDT) and improving the dispatching algorithm
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Postmates maximize their revenue
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for risk control
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Postmates platform, including named entity resolution and recognization of reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree (or higher) in a technical field (Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Math, Physics, Engineering, etc.)
- A deep theoretical understanding of modern machine learning algorithms, statistical models, or optimization
- Extensive experience with data tools, Python (Pandas, Scipy, Numpy, Scikit-Learn, etc), R, SAS, SQL, etc and strong skills in data analysis, data visualization, and feature engineering
- Ability to own your modeling work from model development all the way to production deployment and beyond with minimal help from engineers
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Google BigQuery, BigTable is a plus. Experience ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Spark MLlib, XGBoost, and Scikit-Learn is a plus.
- Strong communication skills. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, data analysts, and other engineers shouldn’t be a problem for you.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Whatever equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Awesome office located in SOMA District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans