What is ProQuest?
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. In Texas, a grad student unearths a lost work by Walt Whitman, opening new perspectives on the influential poet. In Germany, a cancer researcher’s refined workflow takes treatment a vital step forward. In Rotuma, a filmmaker inspires researchers everywhere to explore the culture of his tiny Polynesian island.
In classrooms, libraries, businesses and homes worldwide, people are doing extraordinary things with help from ProQuest, a leader in research and educational technology, based in Ann Arbor.
What will I be doing?
Reporting directly to a manager focused on employee advancement and development, you will focus on leading a team to develop and redesign one of ProQuest’s innovative e-books product from the ground up. By assessing, understanding and analyzing the legacy system, your team will find new, better, and faster ways to ingest and manage the content that ProQuest and it’s clients depend on. To build this internally facing tool, you will leverage a Java-based environment (Java, MySQL, Rest, SOAP, SQL Server, MongoDB) to transition new and existing functionality to the new platform.
Using the latest in cutting edge technology, our Senior Software Engineers design, implement, and test the latest products and functionality of the ProQuest product line.
What else will I be doing?
- Lead project teams and provide technical expertise for various engineering projects.
- Apply technical knowledge to development of products and processes and identify additional value-added opportunities related to specific projects.
- Propose, develop, review and revise new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high quality systems.
- Provide technical mentoring to other team members.
- Serve as an internal consultant on specific projects outside of team or department.
- Provide innovative suggestions and recommendations for new projects based upon technical and product knowledge.
- Maintain knowledge of state-of-the-art technology to incorporate new developments into products.
- Propose technical advances and evaluates new hardware / software for company use.
What will I need to be successful?
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 10 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Masterful understanding and application of several programming languages (Including Java and related languages)
- Masterful understanding of XML.
- Masterful understanding of system interfaces such as REST or SOAP.
- Ability to write functional / detailed design specifications based on user and/or system requirements.
- Ability to work with source control systems.
- Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio).
What would make me an ideal employee?
- Experience with NoSQL DB’s.
- Experience in AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Experience with Jenkins built systems
- Experience with Docker (Release System)
Other important information about this position:
- This position is typically located in a ProQuest office location; occasional remote work may be acceptable, subject to approval.
- Preferred location for this role will be Bethesda, Maryland ProQuest office
- Occasional travel may be required.
- This position requires weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with scheduling flexibility available around standard business hours to accommodate clients in alternate geographies and time zones.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.