Purple Dot – The Waitlist Company is changing how brands operate by helping them sell more and reduce waste through the world’s first waitlisting platform. Our waitlist eCommerce solution plugs directly into brand sites, converting prepaid customers to a waitlist for items that aren’t quite ready to be fulfilled just yet.
Our solution is used throughout the product lifecycle, powering pre-orders and out-of-stock orders, so that brands never lose out on an opportunity to convert demand. And, we provide powerful data analysis tooling to help brands select the right stock for their next purchase order.
The founding team are serial tech entrepreneurs with Purple Dot – The Waitlist Company being our second startup having sold the first one to Skyscanner in 2017. Our CEO was recently named one of the coolest female founders in tech. We are based in London, UK, and Davidson, NC, USA.
We are starting with fashion and are post-revenue with a growing customer base, including flagship D2C customers like SPOKE, Lisa Says Gah, and Castore. Our mission is to create and win the new category of waitlist shopping as a delightful must-have in eCommerce, we are backed by investors that believe we will, and we would love to have you on our journey!
We are looking for a Fullstack Engineer that wants to have an impact as we scale. You will be joining a small but experienced engineering team and working across the stack on merchant and shopper facing features.
This is a full-time role. We are all working remotely right now so most of our communication is done over Slack and Zoom. You can be based anywhere in the U.K. but will be expected to spend 1 day/week in our London office when government restrictions ease.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop new features from idea through to design and build, across our different services, including our shopper facing integrations, interactive dashboards as well as our APIs and data products.
- Work closely with the rest of the engineering team on scoping, breaking down and estimating features. You will then own implementation of the agreed changes.
- Keep in mind the availability, stability, and security of our services. We all support the software we build.
- Participate in our lightweight engineering process – backlog prioritisation, code reviews, frequent deploys, and daily standups.
- Both give and receive help and mentorship from our highly experienced engineers and to junior engineers as we grow our team.
Have a look here to learn more about our engineering culture.
Why we think you’ll love working at Purple Dot
- Work with the founding members of a fast-moving, flexible, and focused team that has already taken a startup from an idea to acquisition.
- Just like us, you’ll be learning every day. You’ll have an opportunity to learn and grow very quickly, with the help of a team that has done that before.
- Have a direct impact on our merchants and shoppers with everything you build and spend way more time on developing features instead of keeping the lights on.
- We are all in this for the journey and the experience and like to make it fun.
How we interview
We run a simple process that will have you meet most of the team
- 30 minute chat with an engineering manager to learn more about us and this role
Code exercise (you can do this at home in your own time, or add 2h to the final stage)
- Final stage in our London office (Second Home Spitafields) when we will
- go over your code exercise solution (30 mins).
- do a System Design exercise (1h).
- meet you with one of the founders (30 mins).
What you’ll need to be successful
- Clear track record of working in a professional software engineering team.
- The ability to own features throughout the whole software lifecycle.
- A few years of experience designing and building production web applications using
- Full stack frameworks like React+Node.js/Django/Ruby on Rails.
- SQL databases, we use Postgres.
- You have built complex backend systems before, powering webpages or APIs.
- You are a strong advocate for automated testing, ideally experienced with end-to-end testing tools like Cypress.
- You are product-focused and have a pragmatic approach to engineering, prioritising delivering value to our customers.
- You can effectively communicate your progress and ask for help when you’re stuck.
- Have a growth mindset
- An open mind and a willingness to learn new technical skills.
- As we scale we are learning every day what works and what doesn’t, you’ll need to be comfortable with learning from failure.
Bonus points for
- Experience with payment infra such Stripe or Paypal.
- Experience with analysing data and building data-heavy features, or working on data warehousing and data analysis tooling.
- Experience building applications that integrate into 3rd party websites.
- Experience with e-commerce platforms like Shopify.
- Salary up to £100k.
- £1000 per year to spend on your own holidays.
- £1000 per year to spend on your own learning and development.
- £250 per year to spend on products sold through Purple Dot.
- EMI options so that you can share in Purple Dot’s success.
- Workplace pension scheme.
- Sometimes there’s free food, sometimes there’s free travel (pandemics permitting).
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.