RBR creates instruments to measure the blue planet. From the ocean abyss to the polar ice cap, our sensors track water parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, dissolved gases, and many others. RBR equipment enables researchers to develop innovative measurement solutions that are deployed in the surf zone, mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, towed behind boats, and sent to the bottom of the deep ocean.
As a Java Developer at RBR, you will work in conjunction with the entire engineering team to develop our Ruskin software which enables researchers to deploy oceanographic sensors and recover data effectively, as well as enable internal users to configure and calibrate these devices.
Over the last five years, we’ve grown 20% annually and are now ~60 people. We’ve been recognised for three years by Growth 500 and have won a Best Ottawa Business Award.
We provide a balanced work environment complete with a very competitive compensation package.
- Maintain, suggest and implement improvements to the existing Java code base;
- Contribute to the development of our software architecture and roadmap;
- Collaboratively develop and implement a release plan;
- Deploy feature changes to the User Interface (UI);
- Architect and implement storage databases and manage interactions with instruments;
- Maintain and improve communications with RBR instruments;
- Provide internal support to Engineering and Production team members;
- Interface with the Calibration lab to ensure performance and accuracy of our oceanographic sensors;
- Action support tickets generated by external users;
- Review and test code changes provided by other developers (QA);
- Maintain the software build system (Release Engineering).
- Post-secondary education in computer science/programming or related discipline with at least five (5) years of relevant work experience;
- Multi-threaded expertise with very high proficiency with the Java programming language;
- Experience with Windows and OSX development, SWT and OSGi (including p2);
- Design pattern / OOP mentality is essential;
- Familiarity with Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence), SQL in general and SQlite in particular;
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work in an interrupt-driven environment;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and changing priorities;
- UI/UX experience is an asset.
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics
- Enjoy fast paced work environments;
- Enjoy unique design challenges;
To apply, you must prepare a cover letter that explain why you want to work at RBR and what you can uniquely contribute to the team.