The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), located in Seattle, Washington, is part of a dynamic collaboration among three organizations known nationally and internationally for their patient care and research: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, and Seattle Children’s. Over the past 25 years, these institutions have worked together to support their mission of adult and pediatric oncology patient care services, research and education.
The Data Platform Team within SCCA Information Technology is responsible for designing, developing, and supporting SCCA data systems, for both operational and analytical purposes.
The Data and Solutions Architect is an experienced technical leader on the Data Platform who advances the strategic use of data at SCCA in cancer care, research, education, and operations. The Data Architect collaborates with other Data Platform team members, IT leaders, and functional subject matter experts to define and implement a strategic plan for the enterprise data and analytics platform.
This role will contribute to a strategic vision to enable a modular, reliable, robust, and scalable data platform that supports data-driven decision making and analytic capabilities. The Data Architect will achieve this by partnering closely with UW Medicine colleagues and translating SCCA functional and technical requirements into an executable roadmap. As part of this effort, the Data Architect will increase the data maturity of SCCA and document and demonstrate sound data principles including architecture, technology, and processes.
Finally, the Data Architect is responsible for the reduction of technical debt through planning and the creation of best practices in Data Platform design, development, maintenance, and operations. This role will support the implementation of the data catalog and metadata, oversee efficient data management, optimize data pipelines, and rationalize data sources in order to optimally provide an enterprise data function.
- Build a strategic roadmap of data and architecture requirements aligned with the goals of the organization and that support SCCA clinical, business, and research
- Collaborate with SCCA and cross-organizational IT architects to integrate the data warehouse architecture vision with UW Medicine/Fred Hutch data platforms, clinical/business applications, technical infrastructure priorities, and enterprise architecture plans
- Create/maintain architectural diagrams showing key data entities, an inventory of the data needed to implement business architecture vision, and data lineage identifying data source-to-target mapping
- Create/maintain data architecture principles and logical/physical data models in support of existing data requirements and intended future state architecture
- Develop high-level integrated designs to meet SCCA’s strategic data requirements and guide SCCA technical teams in the planning and execution of migration strategies to emerging technologies, including cloud
- Develop and manage enterprise data repository including business and technical metadata
- Review functional requirements and designs to ensure the data warehouse environment is architecturally sound, compliant, scalable, and reflects leading technical and operational practices
- Remain current on emerging technologies and recommend solutions to continuously improve the capture, storage, and retrieval of SCCA data assets
- Implement strategies to integrate diverse data from multiple source systems, operational databases, and third-party vendors into the data warehouse
- Collaborate with internal SCCA IT and DBA teams to monitor data warehouse capacity, integrity, performance, and scalability
- Collaborate with internal SCCA IT and DBA teams to maintain historical data archive and decommissioning legacy data assets
- Collaborate with internal SCCA IT and DBA teams to coordinate troubleshooting and continuous improvement to the data warehouse performance and service
- Contribute thought leadership to the design, development, testing, and support of the Data Platform while maintaining interoperability of source systems
- Expert experience in data model design, including designing conceptual/logical/physical data models using major enterprise data modeling tools
- Expert experience in architecting data warehouse/platforms, designing efficient data extract, transform and load pipelines, data processing and data mining, and data security
- Strong knowledge of modern data architecture and emerging trends
- Strong knowledge of leveraging data modeling constructs, methodologies and practices to ensure flexible, scalable, maintainable, and high-performing production databases
- Strong experience in strategic data planning, standards and procedures
- Experience in dealing with large and complex data sets
- Sc or M.Sc degree in quantitative field (Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, etc.), or equivalent training or professional experience
- Experience with Cerner and/or Epic healthcare systems
- Agile Certified
- Familiarity with healthcare financial and/or clinical data
- Familiarity with HIPAA regulations and data warehousing security best practices
- Familiarity with healthcare and/or clinical data, ideally in oncology
- Experience with leading data management technologies including master data management, data catalog, data quality, etc.)