The successful candidate will be a highly technical member of a team leading product innovation, new technology adoption and cloud strategy in the IoT domain. The successful candidate should have a broad and deep software engineering skill set, can both architect and independently deliver hands-on tasks and has a passion for automation and continuous improvement. This role consists of designing, building, deploying, testing, and supporting new applications and cloud architecture to support new and existing connected product. This role entails building applications to support commercial use cases for appliances and supporting but business owners and end-users.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Deliver new capabilities for appliance owners.
• Contribute to strategic direction, evolution, design, documentation, implementation, validation and support critical for IoT applications/frameworks.
• Participate in motivation and direction for issues and planning regarding SmartHome Solutions’ IoT application landscape.
• Build SmartHome Solutions architecture and on-going evolution ensuring maintenance of current stability, reliability, performance, flexibility, and capacity.
• Comply with industry best practice for system implementation and technical architecture standards.
• Plan, scope, size, architect, design, prototype, and engineer solution components.
• Hands-on engineering of difficult and complex sections of the application.
• DevOps – Ownership of the full lifecycle of the platform: brainstorming, development, delivery, maintenance and decommissioning. Drink your own Champaign.
• Produce detailed functional and technical software specification documents for scalable applications.
• Help establish and drive best practices for maximum code reuse, testability, application integration, performance, reliability, manageability and security.
• Design and develop re-usable components and operational strategies in the cloud to support scalability, high availability, performance, monitoring, backup, restore, etc.
• Work on a high velocity team that is expected to deliver solutions in a few weeks from concept to delivery.
• Take an automation first approach to streamline processes.
• Assist with incident response, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and problem resolution.
• Build and maintain an automated DevOps delivery/deployment model to enable continuous release of software into cloud environments.
• System availability and uptime, capacity planning, maintenance scheduling, and disaster recovery.
• Perform software upgrades and installations as required in support of cloud strategy and business priorities
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field or 5+ years of experience in software development in lieu of a degree.
• At least 2 years of experience in management of large application landscapes and infrastructures.
• Proficient in Amazon Web Services technologies with at least 1 associate certification.
• Proficient in NoSQL DBMS.
• Familiarity with Structured and Object-Oriented Software Development Methodologies including Requirements Analysis, Object Orient Analysis, Process and Data Modeling, Logical and Physical system design.
• Familiarity with software and Infrastructure Change Management, Release Management, and Source Code Configuration Control including knowledge of CI/CD tools and processes.
• Experience performance tuning applications.
• Experience with an IT automation platforms and VCS like Chef, Puppet, Jenkins, Git
• Experience in issues associated with cross-platform integration.
• Ability to reason through complex situations with strength in identifying and mitigating risks.
• Ability to build / maintain strong relationships, effectively partner with peers, and possess excellent verbal / written communication skills.
• Proven ability to effectively utilize teams from globally remote locations.
• Strong prioritization skills required to manage all in-flight and pending tasks appropriately.
• Experience of automating processes at scale.
• Desire to continually learn.
• Experience in Unix/Linux, Apache, Tomcat, Java.
• Experience using standard tools and techniques (ssh, bash, unix scripting, sed/awk, perl, etc).
• Experience training and maintaining Machine Learning models using various ML frameworks.
• DevOps certified.
• Expertise in Agile Software Development.
• Expertise in application frameworks.
• Expertise in application testing technologies.
• Analytics experience with large amounts of real time data.
• Change agent with the ability to interact and influence business clients at all levels.
• Strong strategic thinker who can translate strategies into solutions with concrete actions & tactical plans.
• Self-starter with an ability to solve problems with little or no direction.
• Familiarity with and experience implementing Open Source Software
• Comfortable making local decisions when needed
• Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
• Process-oriented and committed to superior quality and customer service
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.