Signal Ocean: is the technology arm of the Signal Group, a diversified shipping services group with offices in London and Athens. Our main product, The Signal Ocean Platform, allows ship charterers, brokers and owners to securely process, combine and analyse complex arrays of private and public shipping data. Powered by sophisticated machine learning / artificial intelligence technologies, the platform delivers customised, exclusive insights that help our clients achieve performance and efficiency.
About the role: We are looking for a self-driven, inquisitive, fast-learning individual with a passion for technology, data, and business analysis to join our team in Athens as a Senior Data Analyst. The plan for this role is to evolve into Technical Product Manager.
Analyzing a huge amount of textual data is centrally placed in Signal’s mission. We assure the quality of our customers’ uploaded data and the resulting insights after analysis has taken place. We handle all yet-to-be modeled situations in our AI-powered analysis and those who continuously reinforce the learning of the machine.
The scope of the team is to manage and further develop our advanced text mining solutions. Our objective is to extract all available information in a generalizable and automatic way out of thousands of commercial shipping reports.
The Senior Data Analyst will develop shipping knowledge plus specific knowledge across business and technical domains and understand the system pipelines and its interdependencies. As a Technical Product Manager the candidate is also expected to have a bigger overview of the team and company objectives, people supervision, together with ownership over deliverables and deadlines.
What you will do in this role:
- Progressively but quickly earn a deep, technical understanding of a complex, large scale solution and the underlying business issues it serves through hands-on data work
- Develop tools and scripts for monitoring and tracking machine-learning pipelines/data-driven products
- Drive iterations based on statistically sound evaluations of our product
- Evaluate and monitor the impact of model developments from a client’s perspective
- Work with Product Managers, Engineers, and Data Scientists to improve internal and external tools, including operational contributions to Machine Learning
- Once you transition to Technical Product Manager, while still contributing as a technical hands-on team member, you will also: 1) Work with senior leadership and other Technical Product Managers and Development Leads to set long-term product, technology and data science strategy. 2) Understand the changing data landscape and integrate movements into product strategies and roadmap.
What you bring to the team:
- Bachelor’s or/and Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related technical field
- PhD in a relevant field is welcome
- Ideally 4-5 years of work experience as a data analyst
- Expert technical data skills, preferably including SQL, Python/R,
- Shiny, Tableau knowledge is welcome
- Working experience with data wrangling on large datasets
- Experience in Natural Language Processing or similar ML/AI domain
- Comfortable in acting as a point of contact; explaining complicated methods and data to non-technical colleagues/clients
- Good organization skills and willingness to work in and help the team
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (company’s working language)
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation with additional performance incentives.
- Coverage under the company’s collective health insurance plan.
- Opportunity to work alongside experienced people with deep knowledge in software engineering, data science & shipping business who are always eager to mentor.
- COVID Remote Work setup (primarily remotely, with up to 5 days per month in the office for connectedness/team bonding purposes). Post-COVID setup in-progress.
- 2-4 weeks of onboarding training to prepare you for your new role, having the opportunity to meet about 30 trainers/leaders while diving deep into our products and/or the shipping world.
- Career growth opportunities and a structured development discussion every 4 months.
- Individual learning budget for training, seminars, conferences (750 to 2000 EUR annually depending on seniority) and unlimited free access to all Udemy courses.
- Online weekly workout program incorporating various exercise styles (pilates, yoga, strength training, cardio).
- Fun and well-equipped work environment that includes our in-house restaurant with healthy, freshly cooked lunches every day, ping pong & billiard tables.
- Regular team bonding events and activities.
Strict adherence to Confidentiality, Intellectual Property and Non-Compete provisions is expected.
All applications will be considered under the terms and conditions of confidentiality in accordance with the regulations of personal data protection.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. At Signal, we believe that diversity of opinions, approaches and viewpoints is key to our innovation and success and we encourage that with our hiring, development and rewards practices. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristics by law and take actions to eliminate those from our workplace.