Software Engineer (JAVA)
Location: Osterley London
Sky is currently seeking passionate and effective agile java developers to help grow the online video streaming business. These individuals will be self-organizing and will build on a culture of success.
As a Java Software Developer you will be a disciplined professional that displays technical aptitude and will possess a level of business acumen. You will work in a dedicated product stream as part of a self-organising and empowered team (Agile). In bi-weekly iterations using Extreme Programming techniques you will showcase the functionality you have completed to the Product Sponsor and stakeholders and deliver high-quality working software to a production environment.
- Deliver production-ready running tested software in every iteration.
- Work as part of the team to support and maintain the live product (including first line support).
- Participate in agile ceremonies including -daily stand-up meetings, planning games, showcases, and retrospectives.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner / Technical Analysts and testers to create user stories, validating acceptance criteria, providing information such as cost (estimates) and technical risk.
- Work with the testers to identify and ensure acceptance criteria are satisfied.
Desired skills and experience:
- A passion for Agile methodologies and concepts such Lean, and Kanban as well as XP practices including pair
- programming, TDD, BDD, & DDD
- Proven delivery experience of high volume, high availability, large-scale backend system
- Java 7 (or 8), IntelliJ IDEA (Mac)
- Testing tools (Cucumber) & mock frameworks (mockito)
- Spring, Junit and dropwizard
- RESTful APIs
- A background in Continuous Integration and Delivery practices
- Knowledge of other JVM based languages (Groovy, Scala, etc)
- Interest and experience of dev ops
- Experience with logging, monitoring and alerting tools, e.g. Splunk, Logstash, Kibana, App Dynamics, Elastic Search, Grafana etc
- Experience with Cassandra or other No SQL databases
- Micro Services Architecture
- Shell scripting – Linux Bash
- Active participation in relevant technology communities (EG Meet-ups)
If you’re ready to work in a dynamic environment alongside talented people who take pride in delivering great results, apply today
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
Believe in Better
Sky is Europe’s leading entertainment company. The group serves 21 million customers across five countries: Italy, Germany, Austria, the UK and Ireland. We offer the best and broadest range of content, deliver market-leading customer service and use innovative new technology to give customers a better TV experience, whenever and wherever they choose