Java Software Architect
About the Organization
Located in Dulles, Virginia, Unanet is a terrific company, with ‘A’ performers in a close-knit team who have built a fantastic product that is trusted by over 1,000 customers.
Unanet’s software (Cloud or On-Premise) helps project-driven organizations reliably plan, track and manage projects, people, and financials. Unanet provides budgeting & planning, resource scheduling & skills management, timesheets, expense reports, billing & revenue recognition, workforce collaboration, real-time project reporting, analytics, and management dashboards, along with GL, AP, AR, Cost Pools, Income Statement, Balance Sheet, etc. Further, all Unanet software development and support is based in the United States.
At Unanet you will work collaboratively with colleagues who commit to the key goal of achieving customers’ expected outcomes, have pride and passion in their work ethic, can depend on each other to make things happen, respect opinions and like to work hard, succeed, and have fun. We are proud to offer a competitive salary, health and life insurance benefits, and the potential for bonus and profit-sharing. All of which contributed to Unanet’s 2016 and 2017 Top Workplaces award honored by The Washington Post!
We are seeking a candidate to fill the position of Java Software Architect. As this is a long-term role, the ideal candidate is searching for longevity in the workplace and possesses a strong determination for the overall success of the company as an employee! The goal for the Architect is to provide a framework for the development of software that results in delivering a quality product released with new and enhanced capabilities to drive Unanet’s growth.
The architect will:
- Collaborate with Unanet’s Product Management team to design software to meet business and technical needs
- Create architectural approaches for software design and implementation to guide the development team
- Analyze application requirements and technology approaches to ensure scalability
- Act as the lead person on one or more software development projects, ensuring that the team is meeting technical and functional requirements
- Encourage team members to think creatively and stay motivated, while keeping with Unanet’s development standards
This position is based out of our Dulles, VA office and will report to the Vice President of Product Design.
Applicants must be authorized for non-sponsored employment in the U.S.
- Work closely with the Product Management team to understand business requirements and end-user experiences
- Analyze and help prioritize potential solutions and translate requirements into solid designs
- Author designs that communicate how to intelligently and elegantly merge new functionality into the existing system
- Refactor existing code where it makes sense, to manage technical debt, while avoiding unnecessary disruption to functionality that is already working, all with an eye towards optimizing performance
- Use tools and methodologies to create user interface prototypes for the new or enhanced capabilities
- Work with CTO and other architects to define all aspects of development standards from appropriate technology to coding standards and best practices for Java development
- Help provide oversight, planning, and technical direction to the development team to ensure successful delivery of software projects
- Lead the technical design and development, using object-oriented design techniques
- Ensure that the software developed adheres to best practices and quality standards through code and design reviews
- Work on multiple sub-projects simultaneously dealing with multiple stake holders
- Additional duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications
- 10+ years of experience in Software Development with at least 3+ years of architectural work
- Excellent knowledge of Data modeling and database design experience including strong SQL skills
- Robust multi-tasking and strong communication skills – verbal and written to articulate the architecture and respond instructively to questions about the architecture
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexibility and a professional work ethic
- Experience with presenting and articulating ideas to management
- Interest in emerging technologies and innovation
- Clear technological thinking and a sound understanding of technology solution design principles
- Experience in systems analysis and design
- Possesses a solid understanding of development, quality assurance and integration methodologies
- Possesses the ability to multitask and juggle competing priorities
- Understanding of Accounting principles preferred
- The candidate should be self-motivated, and be comfortable functioning in a multi-tasking, tightly knit collaborative environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited college/university
- Any certification is a plus
Unanet is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for positions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws.