Wistia is a video marketing software company working to make business more human with video. We aim to be on the cutting-edge of marketing—both in our marketing efforts and by building products and creating content that helps our customers stay ahead of the curve. At Wistia, our goal is to make business more human. That’s a big task, but we’re super excited to help the world get there faster through simple and delightful video-focused products.
As a Product Design Manager at Wistia, you’ll help us manage and coach a diverse and talented group of designers building web-based video creation tools. You’ll help us uphold the following values alongside universal best practices for inclusive design:
Intentional Simplicity. Design is best when the product is the simplest for users, rather than the designer. In this role, you’ll focus on cultivating active participation from your design team to achieve the right balance here—aiming to make our video platform straightforward and intuitive versus oversimplified or unremarkable.
Meaningful Creativity. This is achieved when the final product results from many inputs and active exploration. You’ll help designers add meaning through their creativity and focus their skills in ideation and creation around a real customer problem or desire.
Polished Presentation. This means much more than pixel-perfect design, but it includes the assets and processes that contribute to successful design implementation. Your team should feel inspired when they see each other’s designs at every stage along the way to implementation.
Ambitious and Determined. Ambitious design is by definition difficult to achieve. So when designing for the future, you’ll consider long-term benefits, not just short-term inconveniences. When you’re helping your team be ambitious, it sets us up for better outcomes by considering what we know about the business, the market, and great product design processes.
You will oversee a product area building our video creation tools aka ‘Create’:
- Developing our product strategy: monthly resourcing and prioritization
- Leading and developing new workstreams in Create
- Assisting with the prioritization of work alongside a Group PM and Engineering Manager
- Managing the performance of designers in Create
- Reporting to Director of Design
- 3+ years of real-world success managing junior and senior designers
- 4+ years of experience designing websites, software, or applications
- Meaning, you have a broad toolkit and practical know-how to adapt your design processes to different challenges
- Expertise with modern design tools (similar but not exclusive to: Figma, Sketch, Abstract, or Adobe XD) and design systems
- Excellent visual fundamentals of color, typography, and holistic design
- Familiarity with technical constraints and best practices for modern responsive web/mobile applications
- Can form strong instincts and apply your taste to designs, but prefer to back up decisions with concrete user-insights and evidence
- More than empathy – you have user-centered approaches to design, invested in user behavior and outcomes
To be the most successful here you will:
- Lead conversations around big possibilities as well as features and scope limitations
- Stay inspired with a “beginner’s mind”: open and excited to discover new ideas
- Care about design beyond software to include your fellow designers and design’s impact on the world
- Be inclusive: you don’t design for your users, but with them
Working at Wistia
We try to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun stuff like swag and snacks in the office (though we also have lots of those too!).
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A great compensation package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you contribute
- Profit Sharing!
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
We have a beautiful office in Cambridge, MA, but we’re all working remotely (all 100+ of us) right now. Permanently remote applicants are encouraged to apply – must be U.S. based.