Recurrent is on a mission to get more electric vehicles (EVs) on the road – we aim to accelerate the used electric car market by making it more accessible and transparent for millions of vendors and buyers alike.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will join the founding team to design, build, and ship a product that helps consumers buy used electric cars. You will have the opportunity to significantly impact how we build the product from the ground up. As a fast-growing startup, we are at the intersection of many different users and opportunities – if you love solving problems, leading the charge to focus on core problems, and working creatively in many different areas, we’d love to hear from you!
Road vehicles represent 20% of carbon emissions globally. Electrifying passenger vehicles, in parallel with transitioning our power grid to cleaner energy sources, really moves the needle on climate. We’re proud to be working towards helping our planet too.
Location: This is a 100% remote position that can be based anywhere in the U.S. We’re a remote-first company and want to work with great folks wherever they are.
You will join the founding team to design, build, and ship a product that helps consumers buy used electric cars. You will have the opportunity to significantly impact product design and direction based on a solid understanding of customer needs.
What you’ll work on:
- Work closely with a small cross functional team to quickly design and build new features from the ground up.
- Have the opportunity to work across the entire stack, including database and API design, data science pipelines, and frontend user interface implementation.
- Integrate with various third party APIs to fetch data for use in our data science pipelines
- Maintain service infrastructure and help improve the reliability of our software.
You bring the following skills and experiences:
- The ability and desire to learn new technologies and tools. While not required, preferably you have some experience in the tools and technologies we use, including: React (Next.js & TypeScript) on the frontend, Ruby on Rails on the backend, Python in our data science pipeline, and AWS infrastructure.
- Leadership qualities. As a senior engineer on our team, you will help us make important architectural choices. You will also play an important role in developing the hiring process for our growing team, as well as helping nurture junior developers we may hire in the future.
- The outlook of a generalist. You are willing and excited to work on all parts of the stack. We have user-facing features with UI to deliver, as well as plenty of backend work including extensive data modeling tasks, building and maintaining third-party API integrations, and supporting our data science pipeline infrastructure. We’re a small team and we wear a lot of hats, so being willing and excited to dive in and help out across the entire stack is important.
- A collaborative working style. With a small remote-first team like ours where everything is moving fast, it’s easy to get out of sync with each other. Great products are only built by teams who work together effectively, so good collaboration and communication are essential to our success.
- A pragmatic attitude. Not everything we build will be built to perfection. We want to build quality software, but our first goal is to build a sustainable business. We have to balance our efforts appropriately.
Benefits: The benefits package at Recurrent is thoughtfully designed to help people lead healthy lives in and outside of work.
We offer the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision are covered 100% for the employee
- $1000 Home Office Reimbursement
- 401k (No matching)
- Unlimited PTO (we encourage everyone to take a minimum of 3-4 weeks per year)
- All company winter break: Everyone is off for December 24th – January 1st
- Quarterly Work Together Weeks: We fly everyone on the team to a single destination and spend a week working in person, brainstorming, and socializing
- Paid Parental Leave & Bereavement Leave
- Choice of MacBook or PC
Our Hiring Process: We know that interviewing can be daunting and want to make sure you know the process so you know what to expect.
- Intro call with our recruiting team (30 minutes via phone)
- Technical Phone Interview with CTO or team member (45 minutes via zoom)
- Take Home Assignment (not timed, but we ask that you not invest more than 2-3 hours)
- Three interviews via Zoom:Pair Programming (1 hour): We’ll ask you to give a high level overview of your take home exercise and then expand on the functionality a bit. This session is intended to be a collaborative effort between you and the interviewer(s) that simulates real work as much as possible. You’ll be asked to share your screen so we can follow along and you’re welcome to use any tools, internet resources, and documentation that you find helpful.
- Systems Design & Architecture (1 hour): We’ll discuss ideas for architecting a hypothetical new feature. Like the previous session, the goal is to simulate how we would collaboratively explore architecture ideas and tradeoffs before building something. This will primarily be a verbal discussion, though we may reach for tools like Google Docs or shared whiteboard apps if it’s helpful to the conversation.
- Product & Design Discussion (45 minutes): This will be a session with our Lead Product Manager that focuses on how you work with members of the product & design teams.
Learn more about Recurrent and our values here: https://www.recurrentauto.com/about#careers
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at our company. We warmly invite applications from people of all walks of life. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.