We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing Core Services group. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Core Services, you will manage the planning, delivery and mentoring of our SRE team and lead all development and operations that ensure the reliability of our web applications. You will work with both teams focused on feature delivery and other teams to ensure that we have the right tooling and capabilities to support the high reliability of our systems. You will be responsible for improvements to our incident response and postmortem process, operational reviews and incident trend analysis to guide the internal roadmap of the SRE team.
BenchSci is a remote-first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
- Lead software and system design initiatives by using cloud-native design patterns and injecting your cloud expertise into the entire development lifecycle
- Understand feature delivery teams’ needs and engage the SRE team to help them improve the reliability of the services they support in production.
- Perform operational reviews with feature delivery and other teams to understand incident trends and hot spots and work with them on a plan to address them.
- Provide periodic incident trends analysis to identify systemic issues and devise projects on SRE and feature delivery team’s roadmaps to address them.
- Manage our post-mortem process and track the completion SLA of the action items assigned to SRE and feature delivery teams.
- Scale the SRE function through the development of self-serve tooling in addition to headcount.
- Help improve our monitoring capabilities to help feature delivery teams identify production issues.
- Improve the observability of our systems to help identify causes of incidents faster.
- Provide SLA compliance dashboards to track contractual obligations.
- Improve our incident response and post-mortem process and related automation.
- Increase the quality and standard of the documentation of our systems, and work with application development teams to maintain that standard.
- 2+ years of experience working in a leadership capacity within a DevOps or an SRE domain.
- 5+ years of experience working as a Site Reliability Engineer or DevOps Engineer, with a focus on observability and reliability
- Experience with observability and reliability tools and techniques in a cloud-native environment
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they’re the organization’s beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other’s differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.
Accessibility Accommodations: Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.